Ask the Expert - Cliff Mass


When I was working on a Summertime illustration of a Puget Sound Farm at the base of Mount Rainier, my client Cascade Harvest Coalition and I had the idea to illustrate that farm from the same vantage point in the Winter, Spring and Fall for their email newsletter, What's Fresh Now. I knew that there would be some special weather patterns happening near Mount Rainier during different times of the year - but what were they? Who to ask then, but the expert on the peculiarities of Pacific Northwest Weather but the man himself, Cliff Mass. Ever heard of the "convergence zone"? Yep - he was the one to finally figure it out and coin the phrase. He even wrote the book - The Weather of the Pacific Northwest. To my delight, Mr. Mass graciously gave me his advice, as well as artistic moral support and encouragement for the project. Listen to his radio show on NPR where you will get the hands-down best forecast in the Northwest, or if you love learning about the weather like I do, be sure to check out his blog. I know my IQ has been raised a few points because of it...

No comments: